Home
Weather
Routing
Advice & Support
Training
Research
About Simon Rowell
Contact
Site Map

 

 

Simon Rowell 

I have been a yachting professional since 1997, starting off as an instructor before working for Clipper Ventures both as a round the world race skipper on the winning boat in the 2002 race and as assistant race director in charge of the day to day operations and all the skipper and crew training for the 2005 race.

I am an RYA Ocean Yachtmaster Instructor and Examiner and spent two years as Chief Instructor at UKSA in Cowes before going back to university in 2009 to study meteorology at the University of Reading, finishing the MSc course in 2010 with a distinction and a dissertation investigating how hurricanes start in the North Atlantic.  Now I am continuing this research as a CASE (Collaborative Awards in Science and Engineering) student at the University of Reading, sponsored by NERC.  This research is on a 75% part time basis, which leaves me the remaining 25% of my time to spend on marine work.

Before all this I spent seven years as an engineer on oil rigs in various usually unsalubrious parts of the world, and have a thorough grasp of the many and varied uses of both gaffer and self-amalgamating tape, and of how to find a machine shop that can cut a 1 inch left handed thread in Brazil on a Sunday. 

I live with my wife Gail in Cornwall on the eastern side of the Carrick Roads in Falmouth Harbour with our two spaniels, Nelson and Molly.

For more detail, please look at my CV.

Top
Rowell Yachting Services Ltd | simon_rowell@rowellyachtingservices.com